Sunday, June 08, 2008

More and more ornery

Gabi has started brushing her teeth with me in the mornings, and it seems like she's more interested in turning the water on and off than getting her teeth clean. This week she even stuck her feet in the sink and turned on the water making her clean socks for the day nice and soggy. Fabulous!

Gabrielle also thinks now that she has to hold the camera herself and check out the pictures...even before we have taken them. I think I have gotten more pictures of her pointing at me than I have good ones of her smiling lately.


Trying to get into the office to "play" with our stuff...pulling all our documents our of the desk drawers (including the drawer of calculators, rubber cement, etc.) and spreading it all out on the floor. Unfortunately that door doesn't latch shut, so she knows that she can push it open really easily even if it looks shut.

One last "fun" topic is that she has bitten me twice this week after I said "no" to her for one reason or the other. Any advice from you other parents who have gone though this will be much appreciated. She threw a major fit the other afternoon while I was cooking supper too and I just had to put her into her crib to separate us both from the situation. Any other suggestions on how to handle "strong willed" children of this age would be much appreciated. :)

2 comments:

kranberry216 said...

Oh no! You've entered the ornery stage!! Welcome to parenthood. My little red-headed fireball wrote the book on ornery. I still haven't read the instruction manual chapter on biting, as neither of mine did that. But they are professional fit throwers - you did the right thing. Separation is the key. Once you are both calmer, it's easier to reason. Guilt works best on my kids - "You hurt mommy" or "You made mommy very sad" usually does the trick!

Jill said...

Brenna definitely did the biting... thankfully only me. I just said, "We do not bite!" firmly, with a very stern look on my face and didn't make a bigger deal of it than that. It still very rarely happens, but it's gotten better. They're just frustrated and don't have the words to tell you why. It must be innate, too, because no one's ever bitten her that I know of.

Fit throwing... I ignore first, then time out in bed if ignoring isn't working or isn't safe. So we're on the same page there. Hang on for the ride now, momma!! Who would have thought we'd have such ornery girls? Ha!! (probably a lot of people! ;-)