Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Petroleum Museum

On Saturday morning we headed out again...this time to the Petroleum Museum near Midland.  And, lots was learned again...about the oil industry this time!

Some of the granite samples that come out of the ground before they get to the oil.  I already picked out the one that I want for my kitchen counters.

Gabrielle listening to the display talk about drilling.

Up close and cute!

A little game that demonstrated the percentage that they actually get oil each time they drill.  I didn't know that when they drilled somewhere, they wouldn't necessarily hit oil each time.  I guess I figured that they had better technology to do that by now.

The "Sea" that used to be in this area.  That's why this area is so rich in oil now--because there was so much stuff that just died.  I guess I don't understand how it can be sooooo dry though now when it was soooo wet then.  The last precipitation that we had here was October 14th--seriously!!

They used to use dynamite to blow holes in the ground to get down to the oil...sounds a little dangerous to me.

And, to check for "leaks" they used to do fly-overs.  Seems like that wouldn't have been the most efficient way, but I guess it worked for quite some time.

A cool display showing some of the stuff that comes from oil.

Gabrielle playing with one of the displays.  She did a  GREAT job at this museum only touching the things that she was supposed to...much better than yesterday.

Nick and Gabi trying out the race car.

Gabi's still in the driver's seat, but I thought I would try getting in as her passenger.  Those little narrow seats really aren't made for my "mommy hips"!  :)

My parents trying it out...

One of the outdoor displays.

An "old" oil rig set-up.

A modern oil rig set-up.

0 comments: