Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Oh what fun it is to climb!

Gabrielle's new thing lately has been climbing up on things, thankfully mostly low things for now. Some of them seem a little dangerous to me (like things with wheels), but from what I am reading in my parenting books/magazines/emails, she is in a stage of exploration, and I should let her do it. Could it really "crush" her creativity for life if I don't let her always do what she wants to? Sometimes I think that what I read is a little "fluffy" for my parenting. What is the consensous on that from you other moms who have already been through this?

3 comments:

Jill said...

I vote to just let her climb... within reason of course. Even on things with wheels as long as if she falls off, she's not near the fireplace or coffee table or anything else hard.

Syd is a monkey and NEVER falls. I wish she would sometimes, so she'd have a little healthy fear. Alas, this is not the case.

Tanya said...

I'm with Jill. But maybe that's partly because stopping Andrew from climbing and jumping is next to impossible. I think they learn what hurts them, as mean as that sounds, and hopefully won't try the dangerous stuff again.

But maybe you shouldn't listen to me, b/c yesterday I came out of the bathroom to find Andrew walking along the outside of the balcony, teetering above the staircase. And he was so proud of his accomplishment. I, on the other hand, almost had a heart attack. No more bathroom breaks for me!

Unknown said...

Remember, at the age of about 16 months, I found Grayson in the bathroom sink, sitting Indian-style and he had even turned the faucet on. I had just taken a 2 minute bathroom break in another bathroom... He climbs on everything!! Last week I found him proudly sitting on top of his Little Tikes playhouse roof. Yikes!!