Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Shepherd's Pie

Another "healthy" new-to-me recipe that I tried last night. I had never made this before, although I thought it was really pretty easy. The most time-consuming parts were browning the hamburger and peeling the potatoes...not bad! And, Nick really liked it too--a great way to get your veggies in for the day!!!

6-8 potatoes, peeled and diced

½ cup milk

4 T. reduced-fat cream cheese

Salt and pepper

1 lb. 93% lean ground beef, browned and drained

1 cup chopped onions (I use frozen)

½ cup dry white wine

½ tsp. thyme

1 pkg. frozen mixed veggies (thawed)--I used a combination of peas, green beans, corn, and carrots, and of course you can always add more veggies if you like!

Place potatoes in pan with enough water to cover. Boil on medium for 15-20 minutes or until tender with a fork. Drain well, add milk, cheese, and salt/pepper to taste; mash until smooth.

In skillet add beef, salt/pepper to taste, and onions and cook on medium heat for 8 minutes, or until onions are tender. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.

In a baking dish spread the beef mixture and top with potatoes. (I split mine into two smaller glass pans and froze half for later.) Bake for 25 minutes at 425 degrees or until top is golden brown.

0 comments: